Thursday, March 11, 2021

mom's favourite?

 Hello, my name is rose. I’m the second child of 5. My older brother is a world-renowned military genius and is sitting pretty as a general at 20. My younger sister has uncoded the way to curing cancer and turned 16 this year. The youngest two have normalized travel to other plants and are now searching to find terraforming planets; they are 14. 

Mom was an ordinary nurse till zack, the oldest, was born. Dad was a politician, to be exact, a foreign diplomat. Mom is always doting on me for being average. I get the most attention out of the five of us. Dad still grumbles that playing favorites is terrible, but he loves my ‘normalcy’ as well. 

Now, here’s what they don’t know. By day I’m the lovable average child ‘struggling in college; by night, I’m the world’s best detective. Before his image even pops in your head, get rid of the sinful image of sherlock homes. If he was good as they say, why did he have to leave his own bed’s comfort to solve crimes?

“Rose, it’s time for dinner; put away your homework!”  my younger sister yelled, slamming my door open. As usual, she lacks tact, another reason I won over the parent. My siblings can’t see past their noses when it comes to the benefits of prenatal affection. 

You see, I’ve been playing this game since young, slowly controlling everything in the house. My parents never the wiser. Sitting at my place next to mom at the table, she set a plate in front of me. “Do you need help with your homework, sweety? You seem close to tears,” mom said, brushing her thumb over my cheek.

“Mother, you baby rose too much. What will she do once you guys pass? If she can’t get through college,” zack said with a growl. You see, zack never liked me, for he never liked losing; he lost mom’s undividable attention with me here. Flashing zack a grin, I started to hic-up and sob. 

“Zack! Apologize to your sister! It’s not her fault she’s not like you guys!” mom said, pulling me to her chest and petting my hair. The disgruntled look on my brother’s face was priceless, and he bit out an apology. “Now that enough everyone calms down, let’s eat,” my tired father said, sitting at the head of the table. 

While eating, I zoned out of the boring conversation till something caught my attention. “The government said they are going to hunt down the anonymous detective R,” my father said, and I snapped my head to him, almost choking on my food. 

“W-why?” I questioned, coughing. My mother looked at me, concerned, rubbing my back slowly. “Rose, you have to eat slowly; what would I do if I was left alow in this house” my mother scolded me, and I gave her an apologetic smile. “Sorry, mom, but why would they hunt the detective that single-handedly solved so many murders world round?” I asked my father again. 

“ They believe that the only way they could solve the murders without stepping foot in the crime scene was by orchestrating it,” my father said, surprised that I would take an interest in the mundane dinner talk. 

“Excuse me,” I muttered, putting my fork down. My carefully layed puzzle was falling apart before my eyes, and I wouldn’t let it. Walking back to my room, I opened my laptop and wiped the drive clean. If they dare suspect me, then they deserve what is coming to them! I won’t solve a single murder more, and good luck finding me.

It’s been a week, and honestly, I feel like a crake addict the quit cold turkey. Mom has been more clingy than usual, or maybe I’m just noticing it more. Classes are so dry I find myself falling asleep. And the news is on repeat ‘why has the anonymous detective R disappeared.’ Some suspect that I ran because people were right about me planing the murder; others blame the first group. 

Walking up the driveway to my house, I found flashing lights and my mother crying on the porch. “Mom, what’s going on?!” I questioned, running up to the porch. “It’s your father; he was arrested. They said that the detective r was him,” my mother said, crying. 

“... fuck this,” I muttered, causing my mother’s eyes to go wide as she looked up at her ‘quite, normal’ daughter. “Oi Sargent, if my father is the detective, then riddle me this,” I said, walking up to him I knew what he looked like hell I knew every last one of them. 

His face went blank then his eyes lit up. “So the criminal mastermind was you,” he said, smirking. His smirk dropped when he saw me smile. “I’m not criminal, but you are, and if anyone in my family gets arrested the moment their name reaches the system. I will drop off dirt on everyone involved to the chief judge.” I said, getting close, my sickly sweet smile never stopping as I leaned into his ear. “And I’m sure he would love to know about your domestic abuse issues, substance abuse, and taking of bribes. Just remember you pissed off the wrong person,” I whispered before walking back to my shocked mother. 

“Why did you hide this from us … from me?” she whispered, and I lead her into the living room. “Because your need for a normal child after zack was pushed on me, and I would say it would have been fulfilled perfectly if not for the government’s stupidy,” I reply in my normal voice. “I-i pushed you to do this?” she questioned, looking around. 

“Honostly, mother, did you think it was possible to have a normal child with your genetics? You and father are carriers, meaning all of your children would get the full brunt of the SGC4. Therefore none of us could have ever been normal.” I explained, it was the first time speaking at my total capacity in this house, and man, it felt nice. 

“Ha, I knew it your not normal!” zack said, making an appearance. “And I am no longer the favorite,” I shot, backflipping him off. It was no longer my job to please mom with being average, and I was going. Ironically on the day of my 19th birthday. To enter the world finally.



comment on your thoughts or comment your take on the prompt!



No comments:

Post a Comment

death my dear old friend.

 I was sitting at the bar. It was a familiar scene for me; the marble floors, the redwood bar, the dim but not too dark lights, the unlimite...